- Yummy and rich
- 1 pound loaf stale white bread
- 1 qt. milk
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) sweet butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) powder sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) rum extract or liquer
- Crumble bread in large bowl.
- Pour milk over and let stand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.). Grease 9 inch X 13 inch baking pan or dish.
- Mix together eggs, sugars, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Stir mixture into softened bread and stir in rasins and pecans.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and set in middle rack of oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for one hour or until brown and set.
- In double boiler, over low heat, stir butter and sugar until sugar has cocmpletely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in egg until it cools to room temp.
- When bread pudding has cooled cut into squares and serve with sauce ladled over top.
- This is a great bread pudding. The rum sauce makes a creamy
consistancy that beats even Ice Cream.