- Fast, easy, and delicious
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) veg. oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 finely diced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp (10 ml). chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). crushed red pepper
- 2 16-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can chicken stock (13 oz (364 grm).)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) loosely packed fesh cilantro leaves, chopped
- lime wedges
- In 3-quart saucepan, saute onion and carrot in the oil 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and cushed red pepper. Cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans, broth and 2 cups (475 ml) water.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- In blender, in small batches, or in the pot with a hand-held (much easier) in the pot, blend until almost smooth.
- Return to pan and heat through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- Each serving: 265 calories, 22gm protein, 6 gm fat, 14 gm fiber