- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- 5 tbsp (70 ml). chilled solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork wuntil a dough forms.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Gather into a disk.
- Knead lightly a few times just until smooth.
- Pat dough to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits.
- Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather dough trimmings, pat to 3/4-in. thick, and cut out more biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.