- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) all purpose flour
- dash salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- Crisco for frying (no substitute)
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla and sour cream.
- With a wooden spoon mix gently.
- Remove dough from bowl onto floured surface.
- Knead dough lightly until well mixed. (too much kneading will cause dough to be hard)
- Divide dough into three balls.
- With first ball roll lightly on floured counter into a square or rectangle. The thinner the better because they do bubble up.
- Cut pieces (3 inch X 5 inch.) Slit center with sharp knife.
- Drop into hot crisco 3 or 4 at a time, turning until golden brown.
- Remove and set on paper towel to drain.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- When cool sift generously with powdered sugar.
- Store in shoe or bakery box. Do not store airtight. Dough may get soft.
- Easter and Christmas is when the grandchildren look forward to
these wonderful, light treats. They know I don't make them any
other time of the year. Tradition! Love sharing with you. Enjoy!!!