- Easy and excellent - a big hit with the kids!
- Joyce Anderson
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). dried split peas
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery (I use heart w/leaves)
- 2 cloves garlic (increase/decrease according to taste)
- any other left over veggies (small amounts only - don't suggest cabbage or cauliflower)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian Seasoning ( to taste)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1 ham hock or bone
- Look over and wash peas.
- Chop veggies.
- Add all ingredients to soup pot - cover with water (if soup becomes too thick when complete, more water can be added.)
- Cover bring to boil. Skim any foam. If too much of the seasoning is removed when you remove foam, add some more.
- Reduce heat - simmer until peas are soft.
- Remove ham bone - cut up any meat into small pieces - set aside.
- Put soup through food mill to make smooth or can be pureed in blender. Seems to be more pleasing to most people's palates when smooth.
- Add salt if needed - Enjoy!
- When reheating additional water may be needed.
- This recipe came from my mother. It never fails to win rave reviews
from all that have sampled it. Serve with warm bread and salad for a