Imperial Palace General Tso's Chicken
- Sauce (Make and refrigerate until needed):
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). minced fresh garlic
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sherry
- 1 can condensed chicken broth
- (Put everything in a quart jar with lid and shake it up, then put it in the refrigerator. Shake it up when ready to use again.)
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/4 up soy suace
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) cornstarch
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced green onions
- 8 small dried hot peppers, seeds removed
- fried or steamed rice
- Mix chicken, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Stir in egg.
- Add cornstarch, and mix until chicken pieces are coated.
- Deep fry 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time in 350 degree (175 C.) oil until chicken pieces are crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat until all chicken pieces are fried.
- Place small amount of oil (1 tsp (5 ml).) in wok and heat to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Add onions and peppers, and stirfry about 30 seconds.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to wok.
- Cook until thick.
- If it gets too thick, add water to right consistency.
- Add chicken to wok and cook until all is hot and bubbly.
- Serve with fried or steamed rice.