- Vegetarian Souffle type casserole
- Joyce Anderson
Serves/Makes:1 - 9x13 inch pan
- 6 slices firm white bread
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soft butter or margarine
- 1 1 lb (.5 kg). can whole kernal corn, drained
- 2 cups (475 ml) thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 7 oz (196 grm). can California green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded Jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt (really needs a bit more)
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- Trim off bread crusts, spread with butter.
- Arrange buttered side down in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Distribute the corn evenly over the bread, and then arrange the zucchini evenly over the corn.
- Sprinkle the chiles and the cheese evenly over the zucchini.
- Beat the eggs slightly, then beat in the milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
- This is a very easy dish that is really delicious. It is a great one to take to potlucks. A hit every time.
This is not a spicy dish if prepared according to directions - can be spiced up by adding more chilies or changing type of chili.