Shrimp Kebobs with Jalapeno-Lime Marinade
- Kate Ransdell
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 1 cup (225 ml) thawed orange juice concentrate, undiluted
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) honey
- 4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). minced fresh cilantro
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet onions, quartered
- lime wedges
- Combine first 10 ingredients (shrimp through jalapenos) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, no longer than 2 hours.
- Remove shrimp from bag, reserving marinade.
- Thread shrimp, bell pepper cubes, individual onion slices, and finished with one lime wedge onto skewers, using 4 shrimp per skewer.
- Heat marinade to boiling.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Place skewers on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cook 4 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- This is from the June, 1998 issue of Cooking Light with some revisions on my part.
You can substitute 3 pounds of boneless, skinned chicken breast or pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes for the shrimp, if desired.