- Very moist.
- The Piano Fairy
Serves/Makes:9 X 9 inch pan
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml). soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) rhubarb cut in fine pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cinnamon
- nuts, if desired
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Add the egg and the buttermilk.
- Add the soda, vanilla and flour.
- Stir in the rhubarb.
- Pour into pan.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 45 - 60 minutes.
- Our family likes it served with whipped cream.
I think this recipe is 25 years old now - got it from a friend when we
were all newlyweds!