- A lightly spicy, simple black bean soup
- Allen M.
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 dried chile, ground
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). can black beans, drained
- Flour for thickening
- Salt and pepper
- Bring broth, tomato, chile, and cilantro to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Strain broth, then return to pot.
- Saute onion and cumin in butter, until onion starts to carmelize. Be careful not to scorch it with too much heat.
- Add onion and black beans, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle and stir flour to thicken a bit.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sour cream, and some chopped cilantro and tomato.