- Rainy Mountain Gardens
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). canned purple plums
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apricot preserves
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml). fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). red wine, rice wine, or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Drain plums, reserving 3/4 cup (175 ml) juice.
- Discard plum pits and stems.
- Puree plums.
- Press garlic cloves and put in a tea strainer.
- Place puree with other ingredients in small heavy saucepan.
- Add enough juice to make applesauce consistency.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove garlic.
- Strain if desired.
- I have not tried this, yet, but it looked interesting enough that I
retained it from some now-forgotten source. I hope it works for you.