- Josie Lynn
Serves/Makes:8 inch square cake
- Topping (Bottom of cake):
- 3 cups (700 ml) Raw Rhubarb (about 10 stalks) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Melted Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- For topping:
- Mix melted margarine and sugar in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Toss the rhubarb in the mixture until well-coated (a few drops of red food coloring may be added, if rhubarb looks too green).
- For cake:
- Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add margarine, egg, milk and vanilla.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour over the rhubarb in the baking pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- While still warm, loosen the cake around the edges with a knife, place large cake dish over the top of the baking pan, and turn upside down, quickly.
- Let the "juices" drain on to the cake for five minutes, before taking the pan off.
- Gently remove the pan.
- This was a neighbor's recipe, created the year that I was born. I have
always loved it. The topping reminds me a little of old fashioned
Rhubard sauce, and the cake is quite moist. This is a quick and
easy dessert, that is good warm, but even better chilled.