- Irish Wholemeal Bread
- Mark Duncan
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) wholemeal flour
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) strong flour
- 4 ozs pinhead oats
- 4 ozs Oatmeal
- 4 ozs wheat germ
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) bread soda
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 litres buttermilk
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well together.
- Slowly add in the buttermilk and mix to a wet consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 180 cup(350 f.)
- Butter and flour loaf tins.
- Divide mixture between loaf tins, fill to 3/4 capacity and smooth out.
- Place in oven for 30 mins. remove and turn bread upside down, then
- return to oven for a further 15/20 mins.
- Bread should sound hollow when tapped on base.