Popeye's Red Beans and Rice
- Cajun-spiced dish
- Fran Baker
- 1 30 oz (840 grm). can red kidney beans
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) white pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) paprika
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) quick-cooking rice
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic salt
- Pour beans in a big saucepan and start heating on medium heat.
- Add the spices and butter.
- Smash some of the beans when the mixture begins to boil.
- Stir mixture constantly.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare rice, boiling gently until water is absorbed, with 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic salt.
- The beans should reach the consistency of refried beans.
They should have a smooth, creamy texture with some whole beans.
Serve the beans and rice by pouring 1/2 cup of beans into a bowl and scoop the same amount of rice on top of the beans.