Ham and Asparagus Cheese Strata
- Joyce Anderson
Serves/Makes:1 9 x 13 pan
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 loaf (1 lb (.5 kg).) sliced bread, crusts removed
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (475 ml) cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dry mustard
- In a saucepan, cover asparagus with water; cover and cook until just tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly brush butter over one side of the bread slices.
- Place half of the bread, buttered side up, in a greased 13 inch x 9 inch x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 ml) cheese.
- Layer with asparagus, and ham.
- Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, onion, salt and mustard; pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven for 10 minues or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.