- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can ranch style beans
- 1 4.5 oz (126 grm). can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 4.5 oz (126 grm). can chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) uncooked rice (Minute Rice takes less time)
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded cheese
- chili powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown beef in pot.
- Add tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, chilies, rice and water.
- Season with the chili powder, salt and pepper.
- When rice is done turn down heat to low.
- Top with the crushed tortilla chips (do not stir in) and sprinkle shredded cheese on top of chips.
- Put lid on pot; dinner is ready when cheese is melted.
- A pan of cornbread will make this meal complete.
- I know the name of this dish "Possum Stew" is misleading. But, the first time I made it my husband renamed it. He like his name much better than the one the cookbook gave it which was "Texas Beef Skillet" This is his favorite dish.