- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 4 Tbl cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 2 Tbl margarine or butter
- 2 bananas
- 1 pie shell, pre-baked
- Whisk together milk, cream and egg yolks.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in the yolk mixture and cook over medium heat stirring for 5 minutes.
- Stir the mixture constantly until comes to boil, about 7 minutes more.
- Boil, stirring 1 minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla, butter and banana.
- Pour cooked filling into a baked pie shell and smooth top.
- Finish with meringue or whipped cream topping.
- This is a marvelous cream pie. For Chocolate cream pie omit banana
increase the sugar 1 one cup and add 4 oz. chocolate chips.
For butterscotch cream pie....substitute 3/4 cup well packed brown
sugar for granulated.
For coconut cream pie, add 1 1/2 flaked sweetened coconut to filling
Sprinkle toasted coconut over top.
The above recipe is a basic cream recipe that I use for a variation
of cream pies, and it never fails. No imitation taste! Enjoy Husband.