- Very delicious old-fashioned pumpkin pie tasting butter.
- Charlene Collins
Serves/Makes:maybe 6 half-pints
- 3 pints mashed or canned pumpkin
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter (no substitutions)
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste
- If preparing a fresh pumpkin: bake or steam pumpkin.
- Rub through sieve or colander.
- Mix pumpkin with sugar, butter, vinegar, spices in at least a 5 quarts (4725 ml) heavy bottomed pot.
- Simmer 1 hour or until thick and mixture rounds up on spoon.
- Seal in sterile jars and process in boiling water canner 10 minutes if desired.
- This is an old recipe I found in a cookbook. I can't remember the yield, so
have about 7 half-pint jars ready. The pumpkin butter is really delicious,
season it like you would pumpkin pie and you can't go wrong. While cooking,
it tends to make a big 'burp' instead of simmering like a broth would.
Watch so the mixture doesn't stick and scorch.