- German Potato Dumplings
- Recipes from around the world
Serves/Makes:12 or more dumplings
- 9 medium size potatoes
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) raw farina or cream of wheat
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1 cup (225 ml) white bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) boiling salted water
- Scrub potatoes.
- Boil in salted water until just soft enough to mash.
- Drain and mash smoothly.
- Add egg yolks, cornstarch, cereal, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Beat well.
- Shape into dumplings, placing a few read crumbs in center of each.
- It is a good idea to shape one first and if it does not hold together while cooking, beat a little flour into dumpling mixture before shaping remainder.
- Roll each dumpling lightly in flour.
- Cook in rapidly boiling salted water 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from water; serve hot.