Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Charlene Collins
- 1 (8 oz (224 grm).) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) margarine, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 whole maraschino cherries
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Drain pineapple; reserve juice.
- Spray sides of 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted margarine evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with pineapple.
- Slice cherries in half. Arrange cherries, cut side up, so that when cake is cut, each piece will have cherry half in center.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, combine granulated sugar, apple sauce, whole egg, remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted margarine and reserved pineapple juice.
- Add flour mixture to apple sauce mixture; stir until well blended.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Gently pour batter over fruit, spreading evenly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or cool completely. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Nutrients per serving: 200 calories, total fat 2.5g, sodium 240 mg, cholesterol 20 mg.
Found in Mott's Apple Sauce A Better Way to Bake book