- Charlene Collins
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) skim milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl; combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In small bowl; combine milk, egg whites and apple sauce.
- Stir apple sauce mixture into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cut into 9 squares; serve warm.
- Nutrients per serving: calories 150, total fat 0.5g, sodium 370mg, cholesterol 0mg.
This recipe was taken from the Mott's Apple Sauce A Better Way to Bake book.
Be sure to not overmix or overbake the recipe or it will be tough.
My husband and I replaced our old cornbread recipe with this one with