Sour Cream Cut-out Cookies
- Rebecca Brusnahan
Serves/Makes:3 dozen or more
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) sour cream
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 6 cups (1425 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 2 cups (475 ml) shortening
- 2 well-beaten eggs
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk (approx)
- food coloring
- Mix sugar, flour, soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add shortening.
- Add eggs and part of the sour cream.
- Cut into dry ingredients.
- Add rest of sour cream.
- Chill the dough for and hour or 2.
- Roll out and cut with cookie cutters
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool, frost and decorate.
- This makes a LOT of cookies, so the more people involved in decorating,
the better. Try having a cookie decorating party and invite as many kids
as you can to help. Let them be creative, and when they ask you to judge
the best cookie, don't wimp out and say, "Oh, they're all so good! They
all win!" Kids know that's just a cop-out. After the kids are completely sick
sick of decorating cookies and go home, you'll have to stay up the rest of the
night doing the rest. But just think how many you'd have to do without the