The Best Damn Chocolate Cake
- devil's food cake drizzled with Grand Marnier. glazed with orange and iced with dark chocolate sour cream frosting, covered with dark chocolate curls
- It's been too long ago to remember!
Serves/Makes:one standard 9" two layer cake
- 1 devil's food cake mix mixed and baked according to pkg.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Grand Marnier or orange liquor
- One large container sour cream, about two cups
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chocolate chips
- shaved chocolate
- candied orange rind
- Using vegetable peeler, start at the top of a large well colored orange and peel the rind, being careful not to get the bitter white under it, in a circular manner until the orange is bare.
- Don't worry if it doesn't come off in one piece because you are going to cut it into stips of about 3 ".
- Place in boiling water and cook for 5 min.
- Drain and place in fresh boiling water for 5 more min.
- Repeat this one more time and then after draining place in a simmering solution of 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar and 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water for 15 min., or until the rind is translucent.
- Drain and toss in granulated sugar and set on waxed paper to dry.
- I double this part at the least so I can store for later use.
- Keeps well in the frig for months.
- Shave a thick bar of dark chocolate using the peeler and put curls in the frig until ready to use.
- Mix and bake cake per pkg. instructions.
- When you remove cake from the oven, drizzle half of the Grand Marnier mixture over each layer.
- After 15 min. cooling time turn out onto racks or waxed paper.
- Heat 1 cup (225 ml) ornage marmalade untill softened.
- Glaze each half of cake with warm marmalade as you assemble for icing.
- Melt chocolate chips and mix with the sour cream.
- Ice cake with the chocolate sour cream mixture.
- Decorate the top with the orange rind and chocolate curls.
- I catered for many years and this was by far the most requested recipe.