Chocolate Whiskey Cake by Dan Budd
- Chocolate and whiskey is a combination you don't see that often but one that you will probably see more of in the future.
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 12 large whole eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) granulated sugar
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) melted butter
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) water
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) whiskey, 100 proof
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) heavy cream
- 16 oz (448 grm) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 16 oz (448 grm) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground cinnamon
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment or wax paper.
- Sift together the flour and the cocoa powder and set aside.
- Place the eggs and 1 1/2 cups** sugar in the top of a double boiler set over gently simmering water until the mixture reaches 120 F (49 C).
- Pour the mixture into an electric mixer and whip until the eggs triple in size and just begin to recede in volume.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour and then the melted butter.
- Gently pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 350 F (177 C) until the cake springs back when touched, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan a couple of minutes before removing from the pan to finish cooling.
- To make the whiskey simple syrup, combine the remaining sugar and the water and bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and remove from heat.
- When the mixture has cooled, stir in the whiskey, adding more if a stronger flavor is desired. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, heat the cream to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl and add the hot cream.
- Stir gently until all the chocolate has melted.
- Add the butter and stir to incorporate.
- Stir in the remaining whiskey and cinnamon and chill until the mixture starts to thicken.
- When the chocolate mixture has thickened, place in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until light and fluffy.
- Remove the paper from the cake and cut, width-wise, into 4 pieces.
- Lightly brush one piece of cake with some of the simple syrup.
- Spread some of the chocolate over the cake and cover with another piece of cake.
- Repeat using the remaining cake.
- Frost the outside with the chocolate and dust with cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- ** Measurement specific to original recipe yield of 12 servings.
- Estimated Time: 120 min