- Deep fried fritters
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- confectioners sugar for decoration
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees (200 C.) in a deep fat fryer or other suitable pot.
- Lightly beat the egg, add the milk and beat to combine.
- Sift the flour,sugar,salt and baking powder together.
- Add the egg-milk mixture to the dry ingredients and beat till smooth.
- Holding your finger over the bottom opening, pour the batter into a funnel that has an opening of 3/4 inch.
- Through the opening at the bottom of the funnel, drop the batter into the hot oil.
- Swirl the batter into circles, from the center out.
- Each cake should be about 6 inches in diameter.
- Fry the cakes until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar.