- Joyce Anderson
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). lean ground beef
- 1 1 lb (.5 kg). 13 oz (364 grm). can tomatoes
- 1 32 oz (896 grm). can mild flavored chili
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). package spaghetti
- 12 oz (336 grm). cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (225 ml) dairy sour cream
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cooking oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet melt butter.
- Cook onion and ground beef until tender and brown; drain.
- Add tomatoes and chili, simmer 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in cheddar cheese until melted and fold in sour cream.
- Combine chili mixture and spaghetti.
- If using mushrooms, wash, pat dry, slice and cook in 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil over high heat in medium skillet until lightly sauteed.
- Add to chili-ghetti.
- Pour mixture into 4-quart casserole.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes; remove cover last 15 minutes.
- I use canned mushrooms (no need to saute) with great success - no difference in flavor.
This is a big hit with the guys young and old never knew one that didn't like it.
Freezes best if frozen before it is baked.