German Meatballs with Cream Dill Gravy
- Joyce Anderson
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground chuck or round
- 1 cup (225 ml) soft bread crumbs (2 slices)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) minced green onions
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). chopped fresh dill or 2 tsp (10 ml) dillweed
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, water, onions, egg, 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) of the salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix lightly.
- Shape into 24 meatballs.
- Place on a jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees (200 C.) F.) for 15 minutes, or until browned.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add flour; cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Return to heat; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in dill and the remaining 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt.
- Spoon over meatballs.
- Serve with hot buttered noodles, if you wish.