Very Hot, Very Tasty Chicken Wings
- Lori Sweeney
- 40 chicken drummette or winglet pieces or 20 wings, tips cut off and cut into 2 pieces
- 1 cup (225 ml) hot sauce (tabasco, red hot)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red pepper jelly, melted
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) hot pepper flakes
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Dry wings and arrange evenly on a broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of pan with foil.
- Sprinkle wings generously with garlic powder and pepper.
- Bake on middle rack for 1/2 hour, turning once and rearranging on pan twice to cook evenly.
- Sprinkle with additional garlic powder and pepper once turning.
- Remove from oven and place in a large bowl.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over chicken, stirring to coat.
- Return wings to oven.
- 1/2 Cook hour longer, turning once and pouring any remaining sauce carefully over.
- Serve on a lettuce-lined platter with slices of fresh tomato and cucumber around edges.
- Serve with bleu cheese dressing for dipping or ranch dressing with a clove of fresh garlic crushed into it that has been refrigerated for the cooking period.
- This recipe was created in response to a plea from my husband, who could
never find take-out hot wings that were hot enough for him. (I have made
far hotter, which he loves, but I can't eat!)
This recipe is for 4 appetizer servings, or one meal. (as in a wife
and a verrry hungry hubbie!)