- Low Fat custard flan with a sugar topping.
- Angela Creighton
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (14 oz (392 grm).) nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) skim milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- In a small saucepan bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil syrup, without stirring, until golden caramel.
- Pour caramel into a 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) souffle dish, tilting dish to coat bottom and some of side with caramel.
- Whisk together eggs, condensed milk, skim milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a fine sieve into souffle dish.
- Put dish in a baking pan and add enough hot water to pan to reach halfway up side of souffle dish.
- Bake flan in middle of oven 1 1/4 hours, or until just set but still trembles slightly.
- Flan will set as it cools.
- Remove flan from pan and cool in souffle dish on a rack.
- Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Dip dish in a baking pan of hot water 3 seconds.
- Run a thin knife around edge of dish and invert flan onto plate.
- Each serving about 311 calories and 2.6 grams fat (7% calories from fat).