- Angela Creighton
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cardamom seeds
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups (1175 ml) flour
- Combine yeast, warm water and one tsp sugar.
- While yeast is proofing, mix milk, 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar, butter, salt, egg and ground cardamom seeds together.
- Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Work in flour until dry enough to knead.
- Knead ten minutes.
- Put in large greased bowl.
- Let rise two hours or until doubled.
- Punch down and knead again.
- Divide into two loaf pans.
- Let stand 1 1/2 hours or until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) F. for 40 minutes.