- San Francisco A La Carte Junior League Cookbook
- 6 lbs (2.7 kg). frying chickens, cut in pieces
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp (5 ml) freshly grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried tarragon
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) madeira
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Saute the chicken pieces in butter and oil until golden and almost cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a shallow baking dish and set aside.
- To the butter in the skillet, add the orange and lemon rind, 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the orange juice, the 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice, and tarragon.
- Cook and stir over low heat, and with a whisk gradually beat in cream.
- Beat in wines and season with salt and pepper.
- Dissolve corn starch in remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) orange juice and stir into sauce.
- Cook and stir just until thickened.
- Pour over chicken, sprinkle with cheese and paprika, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, brown under the broiler.
- This is one of my favorite chicken recipes; its from the San Francisco Junior
League cookbook, Cooking a la Carte. I mentioned it in a cooking chat last
night, and my mail box was flooded with requests for it. Perhaps you would
like to put it in the online cookbook. It is a great recipe!!!!