- Joyce Anderson
Serves/Makes:1 9-inch pie
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 cookies)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) apricot preserves
- 1 carton (15 oz (420 grm).) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 squares (1 oz (28 grm). each) semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) slivered almonds, toasted
- Combine the wafer crumbs and butter.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 6-8 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned; cool.
- Spread preserves over crust.
- In a mixing bowl, beat ricotta, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate, chopped almonds and apricots.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into the crust.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- I haven't tried this (but I'm dying to - so many recipes, so little time!)
It was a runner up in a pie contest from Taste of Home Magazine, and
featured in their June/July '98 issue. Their notes said is was similar
to a traditional Italian ricotta pie but with a few fun twists.