- William Bohannon
- Venison can be substituted for beef in all recipes. Below are some preparation tips.
- Ideas for venison:
- Try making your favorite beef stew with the venison.
- Season with plenty of worcestershire sauce in the stew.
- Pound pieces of venison with a meat hammer and plenty of seasoned flour.
- Fry them and make a brown gravy with mushrooms; or leave plain and dip in ketchup for a quicker meal.
- To remove/lessen the gamey taste:
- Soak the portion of venison in milk overnight.
- Par-boil in milk (or seasoned milk w/onion)for a while then transfer the partly cooked venison back into the recipe.
- Blend the venison with other meats to tone it down. Remove and discard all of the fat from the venison.
- Use more seasoning to mask the gamey taste. Red pepper, Garlic, Cumin, Bell Peppers, Onions, Celery Seed, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Shrimp, Catfish Fillet, Old Bay Seasoning, 2 tomatoes, baby okra, ahhhhh can you smell the Gumbo yet? Venison would be good in a pot of rich gumbo with other meats.
- Use less venison.