Soup Beans and Corn Bread
- Georgette Todd
- 1 lb (.5 kg). bag of navy beans or great northern beans
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- ham hock
- 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- In the morning, drain the water off.
- Put the beans, salt, pepper, and ham hock in to a crock pot.
- Cover with water.
- Cook on low heat all day, until the beans are no longer hard.
- Follow directions for the Jiffy corn muffin mix.
- When everything is done, butter your corn muffin and pour the beans over top.
- This is a very easy, cheap, and delicious recipe. My grandfather always makes it for me. He ate it alot during the depression. It comes from West Virginia.