Cranberry Bread or Muffins
- Orange-flavored quick bread with whole cranberries.
- Grace Burkins
Serves/Makes:1 large loaf or 2 small loaves
- 1 whole orange, seeds removed.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) margarine
- boiling water
- 1 whole egg
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 3/4- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, optional.
- Grind the orange in a blender or food processor. You can include some, all or none of the orange peel.
- Place the orange in a 2 cups (475 ml) measure.
- Add the margarine and boiling water to 1-1/4 cups (300 ml).
- Add the egg, beat, and set aside.
- Mix together, in a bowl, all the remaining ingredients.
- Stir the moist ingredients into the dry, until barely combined.
- Grease and flour either 1 large tin or 2 small tins.
- Bake the bread at 350 degrees (175 C.) F., for 30-40 minutes.
- I have no idea where this recipe originally came from. My mother has been making it for years. My only problem has been cooking it long enough. It can take 5-10 minutes longer than the recipe originally called for. I always check it with a toothpick.