- Carolyn Haynes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml).salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). shortening
- 6 cups (1425 ml) hot water
- 3 pared medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium turnip, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). salt
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat meat with flour mixture.
- Melt shortening in large skillet; brown meat thoroughly.
- Add water;heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- If desired, thicken stew:
- In covered jar, shake 1 cup (225 ml) cold water and 2 tbsp (30 ml) to 4 tbsp (60 ml) flour until blended.
- Stir into stew; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- I like to add a can of green beans and peas near the end of cooking.
You could add fresh with the rest of the veges. I omit the turnip as no one
in my family eats it.