Smoked Corn Soup (Cherokee)
- Vegetable or Fish Pureed Soup Without Cream/Milk
- william bohannon
- 6 ears of white corn (sweet OK)
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) of beef boullion (double strength)
- 1 can white homminy
- 1 can black beans
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- red pepper to taste
- toasted nuts (Pecans or Chestnuts)for garnish
- Shuck the fresh corn and remove the silks.
- Light 5-6 charcoal briquettes on the grill.
- Place corn on grill and add some mesquite and hickory chips to the coals.
- Smoke the corn for 30 min on a low fire.
- Bring the stock, boullion, and seasonings to a boil.
- Reduce stock slightly.
- Remove corn from cob with sharp knife or mandoline.
- Combine corn, hominy (with juice), and beans.
- Place corn mix and stock in blender in small batches and puree.
- Return pureed soup to pot and keep warm.
- Check seasonings.
- Serve with toasted nuts sprinkled on top.
- There are many recipes for Connahani.