- Meta Givens Encylopedia of Cooking 1959
Serves/Makes:Makes about 3/4 pound
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated orange rind
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted powdered sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soft peanut butter
- Beat egg white until stiff.
- Stir in orange rind, lemon juice, salt and 2 cups (475 ml) sugar until well blended.
- Sprinkle the 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar over a piece of waxed paper, and turn the mixture out onto this.
- Using a rolling pin rubbed with more sugar, roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Carefully spread the peanut butter over the sheet like jelly on a jelly roll.
- Roll the sheet up like a jelly roll and wrap it in the waxed paper.
- Lay the wrapped roll on a piece of cardboard to keep it straight and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, then transfer to a covered candy box.
- When ready to serve, cut in slices 1/4 inch thick.