Spiced Carribbean Christmas Cake
- The Ultimate Holiday Fruit Cake
- The Spice Ingredients Cookbook - S. Morris & L. Mackley
Serves/Makes:1 (1" X 9")
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). Luxury dried mixed fruit
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped dried pitted prunes (sugar plums)
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped dried mango or papaya
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) candied cherries quartered
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Brandy
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Rum
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Port
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) Cherry Brandy
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Apple Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) treacle
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) water
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) Raw Sugar
- Generous 1 cup (225 ml) butter softened
- 6 eggs beaten
- In saucepan combine mixed fruit, prunes, mango or papaya.
- Add the brandy, rum, port, cherry brandy, apple pie spice, vanilla, salt, treacle, and 4 tbsp (60 ml) of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 15 min.
- Set aside to cool.
- Leave overnight or cover and chill for 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees (125 C.) F.
- Grease an line a 9 in x 9 in cake pan.
- Sift the flour into large mixing bowl.
- Add the raw sugar, soft butter, and eggs.
- Beat until well combined.
- Fold in the macerated fruitmixture gradually.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Do not level the surface.
- Bake for 3 1/2 - 4 hours till cooked through.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper over the cake after 3 hours if it appears to be browning to quickly.
- Cool cake in pan for 45 min then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store in airtight container.
- Store for 1 month if possible for best flavor.
- Decorate before serving with more candied fruits and glazed nuts if desired.
- Someone requested the ultimate fruit cake last month but I just now found this recipe.