- 2 lbs (.9 kg). large baking potatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) pasta sauce, your choice
- Steam the potatoes in their skins until tender.
- When they are cool enough to handle, peel and mash.
- Immediately add the flour and salt.
- Knead on a lightly floured board until smooth. (sprinkle a little more flour if the dough sticks to your hands.)
- Form into ropes the thickness of your thumbs.
- Cut into 3/4 inch pieces and press down lightly with fork.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi and boil until they rise to the top, about 5 minutes.
- As all pasta, gnocchi should not be crowded in the pot so cook them in several batches.
- Coat them with some of the sauce to keep them from sticking.
- I have never tried this but my recipe says that you can
substitute the same amount of sweet potatoes for a different
kind of gnocchi.