- Tom Ciavarella
Serves/Makes:6 Large Loaves
- 12 Eggs
- 3 Cups (700 ml) Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Butter
- 2 Cups (475 ml) Milk
- 3 Pkgs. Dry Yeast or Equiv.
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Anise Extract
- 5 Lbs (2.3 kg). or more of Flour
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Instant Potatoes or equivalent
- Beat eggs in large pan.
- Add sugar, melted butter, and all other ingredients except flour.
- Add some flour and mix. Add remaining flour and knead until dough leaves sides of pan.
- Cover with tight lid or plastic wrap. Set in warm place.
- Let raise till doubled in volume and punch down.
- Let raise again.
- Divide into 6 portions and braid into loaves using three long strips for each loaf.
- Place on greased cookie sheets allowing plenty of room as loaves will end up being about 6 inch wide X 15 inch long.
- Place in warm area.
- Brush loaves periodically with oil to keep them from drying out as they're raising. BE PATIENT. It will take some time for them to double in size.
- Bake at 300 to 325 degrees (175 C.) - approx. 35 minutes or until tan.
- Cool on rack and paint tops with powdered sugar icing.