- William Bohannon
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) of fried ham drippings
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) fine chopped onion
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) flour
- 1-1/2 Cups (350 ml) water or ham stock
- Heat drippings.
- Add flour and brown lightly.
- Add onions and stir.
- Brown flour and onions lightly.
- Add liquid all at once.
- Mix well with fork or whisk.
- Simmer to desired thickness.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, red pepper.
- Red eye gravy was invented in a truck stop by a waitress. She made it by thickening the grease that was left on the grill in the late night hours for her truck driving customers. Her grease was a mixture of Ham, Bacon, Sage sausage, Smoked Sausage, Pork Chop, Chopped Beef Sirloin. She served the gravy over thick white grits and biscuits.