- Jane W.
Serves/Makes:Two small loaves
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 yeast cake or 1 envelope yeast
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) white flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar OR 1/2 cup (125 ml) honey
- 5 cups (1175 ml) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) oil or butter
- Dissolve the yeast into 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) lukewarm water.
- Add white sugar.
- Mix together with salt and white flour.
- Allow to sit until it bubbles - about an hour.
- Mix 1 cup (225 ml) water with brown sugar (or honey, if using).
- Add whole wheat flour and oil or butter.
- Mix well into yeast mixture.
- Using white flour, put out onto board and knead until not sticky.
- Divide into two parts and put into two oiled or greased bread pans.
- Oil the top and allow to stand till double in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake till loaves sound hollow when tapped, about 45 minutes.
- This recipe is 40 years old. Makes a flavorful loaf, lovely for toast or eaten plain