- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 3/4 onion, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) carrot, slivered
- 3-1/2 tbsp (50 ml). soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml). celery salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml). garlic salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cayenne pepper
- 1 8 count package crescent rolls (low fat work fine)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger with onion; drain.
- Leave burner on low and add cabbage, carrots, soy sauce, and spices.
- Cook until cabbage is wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch casserole dish.
- Put half of the meat/cabbage mixture on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle on half of the cheese.
- Take 4 crescent rolls, open them up and arrange them so they cover the layer in the dish (I try to press the seams together).
- Add the rest of the meat/cabbage mixture, layer the other 4 open rolls and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 to 35 minutes.
- We adapted a regular Runza recipe so that it tastes a
little like an egg roll, not overwhelmingly so.