- Vanilla soft drink
- William Bohannon
- 1 Cup (225 ml) Water
- 1 Cup (225 ml) Sugar
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) Vanilla Extract
- 2 drops Red Food Color (optional)
- Club Soda
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in saucepan.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in vanilla extract and coloring.
- When cool pour 3 Tbs (45 ml) in a glass add ice and fill with club soda.
- Garnish with strawberry or mint if desired.
- Other flavors can be made the same way. In the old days the carbonation
was provided by the action of yeast on the sugar (fermentation) and the
first sodas were actually slightly alcoholic like a sweet flavored beer.