Rolled Chicken Washington
- Homemade cheese stick rolled up in a chicken breast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped mushrooms
- 2 TBS (30 ml) butter or margerine
- 2 TBS (30 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shredded sharp cheese
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 6 whole chicken boned breasts cut in halves
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) dry bread crumbs
- Step 1 (Can be prepared a day ahead):
- Cook mushrooms and onion in butter.
- Add flour, cream, and salt.
- Cook until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in cheese over low heat just until melted.
- Pour into greased dish and chill at least one hour.
- Slice into sticks.
- Step 2:
- Pound the breast until 1/4 inch thick, and season with salt.
- Roll cheese stick in each and secure with toothpicks. (Do all the breasts and then go on to next step)
- Dust with flour.
- Dip in eggs and roll in bread crumbs.
- Cover and chill one hour.
- Fry 5 minutes in deep hot fat or until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Take toothpicks out at this point.
- May be frozen at this point. Before serving defrost.
- Bake for 45 minutes in 325 degree (175 C.) oven.
- Serve Hot.
- This is a very elegant dish. Much like Chicken Kiev.
Great for a dinner party for some very special guest.
Serve with Brown Rice, Green Beans, Pretzel Salad,
Hot Rolls and Iced Tea, and your favorite dessert. I like