- Piano Fairy
- 1 cup (225 ml) scalded milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lard
- 4 tsp (20 ml). salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 cup (225 ml) water, 110-115 degrees
- 2 pkg. dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). brown sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) whole wheat flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) or more white flour
- Mix scalded milk, lard, salt & honey and let cool to lukewarm - about 85 degrees (30 C.).
- Mix water, yeast & brown sugar and let stand to dissolve for 2-3 minutes.
- Add yeast mixture to milk mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour and enough white flour to make dough.
- Mix well.
- Knead 5 - 10 minutes.
- Put in bowl to rise until double in size.
- Punch down and divide into two portions.
- Let rest 5 - 10 minutes and then shape into two loaves.
- Let rise in pans one hour or until double in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 5 minutes and 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans and let cool thoroughly before wrapping
- Be sure the date on the yeast package indicates fresh yeast.
Be sure the water that you dissolve the yeast in is neither too hot nor too cool.