- Texture is more of a pudding than a bread.
- 1 cup (225 ml) cornmeal
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) boiling water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Stir together cornmeal, salt, butter and boiling water.
- Add egg yolks beaten with milk.
- Mix flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Add dry ingredients to cornmeal mixture and stir.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold stiffly beaten egg whites gently into bread batter.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 2 quarts (1900 ml) baking dish - one that is deep enough so that the mixture only half fills the dish.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes in a 375 degree (200 C.) F oven.
- Serve with fresh butter.
- This recipe was taken from the "Colonial Fireplace Cooking & Early American Recipes" cookbook by Margaret Taylor Chalmers.