- Mexican type casserole
- K. Goins
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/3 can tomato juice, consomme, or water.
- 1 can kidney or chili beans with liquid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) oregano
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
- 1 bag corn chips
- a bit of chopped lettuce
- a bit more chopped onion
- Brown in a little oil the ground beef, onions and garlic.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, liquid of choice, oregano and chili powder.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Alternate layers of the above mixture with layers of beans and then corn chips, ending with corn chips.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Before serving, top with chopped lettuce and chopped onion.
- Use crushed leftover taco shells instead of corn chips.
- Add shredded cheddar or colby cheese to top before or after baking.
- Serve with sour cream.
- From "The I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken.
I usually end up with extra taco meat and shells when we have homemade tacos, so I make this recipe which my whole family likes.