- A favourite snack to serve with drinks
- Joan Russell
- 4 oz (112 grm). plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 oz (56 grm). butter
- 2-1/2 oz (70 grm). tasty cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 oz (14 grm). parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- 1 egg yolk
- Sift flour, salt and cayenne.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the grated cheese and bind together with the egg yolk and sufficient water to make a firm dough.
- Roll out thinly between two pieces of cling wrap.
- Cut into strips about 4 inch long and 3/8 inch wide.
- Also cut out a few rings.
- Place on a greased baking tray and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes on the top shelf of a fairly hot oven - 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Cool and make neat bundles with the rings.
- My Grandmother made these, and so did my Mum. I serve them now at all
family parties, and they are always a big hit!